Tenacious California Sex Crimes Defense Attorney Handles Tough Cases
Experienced Bay Area lawyer develops strategic defenses to sex assault charges
A conviction for a sex crime can alter your life and limit your personal freedoms forever. When the accusations made against you come with such a steep price, it is important to have a dedicated and skillful defense attorney in your corner. In Palo Alto, Edwin E. Samuels, Attorney at Law has decades of experience navigating defendants through emotionally charged sexual assault cases. With determined professionalism, I represent Bay Area men and women charged with crimes of rape, child pornography and other serious felonies.
Established Palo Alto law firm takes on sex offense allegations
California law recognizes many different types of sex crimes and imposes different punishments for each. Among the charges I defend clients against are:
- Rape and sexual assault — California sexual assault and battery laws cover nonconsensual touching of another person’s “intimate parts,” which include the buttocks, genital area and breasts. Rape is a specific charge for nonconsensual intercourse and can come with a state prison sentence of three to eight years. Battery can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony, based on the severity of the act.
- Statutory rape — The legal age of consent in California is 18. Because minors cannot give consent, sex with a minor is a crime even when both parties agreed to the act. Punishments depend in part on the age difference between the offender and the victim.
- Child molestation — The felony offense of child molestation result in a prison term of one to 10 years for each offense. Longer prison sentences are given when force is involved, the child is under the age of 14, the adult was the child’s caretaker, or there is a large age difference between the adult and the child.
- Indecent exposure — An indecent exposure charge can be filed against a person who willfully and lewdly exposes their private parts publicly or who “procures, counsels, or assists” another person to do so. Indecent exposure is a misdemeanor offense.
- Possession of child pornography — Possessing or sharing a sexual image of a minor is a felony in California, whether that image is on your phone or computer, a print photograph or some other medium. “Sexting” with a minor can also result in a child pornography charge.
If you are convicted of a sex crime, you may face a prison sentence of more than a decade and fines adding up to tens of thousands of dollars. Conviction for a sex crime also requires mandatory registration as a sex offender. Registered sex offenders have to report to law enforcement regularly and may be required to inform neighbors of their status.
Accomplished attorney protects clients’ rights through tailored defenses
Even if you are certain of your innocence, a criminal allegation of a sexual offense should never be taken lightly. If you do not have a lawyer when police speak with you, you may end up hurting your case. As your criminal defense attorney, I will assert your legal rights and work to maintain your freedom and reputation by building a strong, evidence-based defense. My extensive experience in Bay Area criminal courts has earned me the respect of prosecutors and judges. I will work to have the charges against you dismissed or reduced through a favorable plea agreement.
Contact an assertive Bay Area sex crimes defense attorney for help fighting your charges
Located in Palo Alto, California, Edwin E. Samuels, Attorney at Law defends Bay Area individuals accused of sex crimes. For a free initial consultation regarding your case, call 650-781-6530 or contact me online.